Tuesday 19 April 2011

An Ode on the Death of a Favourite Dog

Chocolate eyes and milky fur,
Asleep in a basket for me to nurture
A pink eyelid his birthmark,
Days from now and he would bark.

Sweet but restless he would hide under the bed,
Only to be seen was his peeping eye.
And when I pulled him away to the terrace,
He would bark at the birds in the sky.

Though he grew with time he was never shrewed,
And he never growled when I was near his food.
And even strangers would'nt have shewed him away
Because he wagged his tail and gave them way.

His skills included his ability to stand,
And when he did this we could never reprimand.
On his hind legs he would balance like a praying sage
And this ability became better with age.

He never barked at strangers ever,
So he was loved by all and thought to be clever.
He loved the taste of chicken and egg,
Though he segregated the yolk and the leg.

Off latel, I lost him to a plague,
But his existence will never seem vague.
His barks and jumps will never go
So will the things i learnt, ones which my teachers wont know.

He taught me how to stand amidst all the hate and treason,
He taught me how everything that happens has a reason.
He taught me how to take all the things that come our way,
Then stand with placidity and learn to give away.

In a week I shall visit his resting place and call out his name.
He would come barking and play his favourite game.
And then I shall free him of his leash and collar
And say that the sky is all yours....I love you Dollar.

1 comment:

  1. A true dog lover's poem- I still can't bring myself to reading the last stanza without a tear in my eye!

    ReplyDelete